PUMPKIN OR WINTER SQUASH SOUP
Submitted by Becky F.
- 2 – 3 Pound pumpkin or squash
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Cup finely chopped onion
- 2 Cups chicken broth or stock
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 Cup milk
- 1 Cup heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- Dash cayenne pepper
- Scrape seeds and the inside fibers from pumpkin or squash. Peel away skin, and cut squash into 1-½ inch cubes.
- Heat butter in a kettle and add onion. Cook briefly.
- Add pumpkin and broth, salt & pepper. Bring to a boil and cook until tender (about 20 minutes).
- Puree in food processor, food mill, or blender. Return to clean kettle.
- Add milk, cream, nutmeg, and cayenne pepper. Taste for seasoning. Makes 8 servings.
STUFFED PEPPER SOUP
Submitted by Christie G.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 Cups chopped green
peppers (1 large)
- 1/2 Cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 14.5 oz. diced tomatoes
- 15 oz. tomato sauce
- 3 Cups low sodium beef broth or stock
- 1/2 – 1 Cup water
- 2 Cups cooked rice
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- In a large soup pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add peppers and onions and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Sauté until softened. Add ground beef to above mixture and cook until done. Drain & remove grease.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and beef stock, ½ cup water and salt and pepper to taste. Add the cooked rice at the very end. Heat until hot.
Note: If using home stewed tomatoes, use 1 pint and chop 1 ½ cups fresh diced tomatoes. You can tell the difference between using fresh and home stewed tomatoes in this recipe.
PERILLA OR PURPLE BASIL CHICKEN
Submitted by Karen M.
- Olive oil
- 10 Perilla leaves
- Boneless chicken breasts
- Heat olive oil and 10 perilla leaves in cast iron skillet.
- Add boneless chicken breasts and more perilla leaves on top. Cook 10 mins on one side then flip and cook 10 min or until internal temp reaches 165 degrees.
- After removing chicken and perilla leaves, add a tablespoon of oil to skillet and pre-cooked boiled potatoes for about four minutes, tossing to get flavor of perilla oil on all surfaces.